Monday, April 3, 2017

Quoth the Raven: "Baltimore!"

I presented at a conference in Baltimore last weekend, and I thought I'd share some pictures of our time in "Charm City," which definitely lived up to its nickname. 



I'd never been to Baltimore and wasn't sure what to expect, but it was delightful! So full of history, cool people, and, of course, charm.  

Here's the view from our hotel room. 



We stayed on the waterfront and there were so many neat places within walking distance. Fell's Point was my favorite. I loved the historic buildings and rustic taverns.   








We ate good while we were there! So much fresh fish...



Oysters...



And, of course, Maryland crab!



As a book nerd, I had to stop at a few famous literary-inspired sites.



Strolling down Shakespeare Street 


The James Joyce Irish Pub and Restaurant 
(BEST Irish coffee!)





Unfortunately, the Edgar Allen Poe house was closed when we got there, 
but I did get to pay my respects at his memorial.

And speaking of books, I just loved this sign outside Barnes and Noble.



We had so much fun site-seeing that I almost forgot I had come to Baltimore on business! Here I am, about to give a presentation on a book that is very dear to my heart. I worked as a research assistant to the Caribbean scholar and novelist O.R. Dathorne until his passing in 2007. It was a great honor to pay tribute to such an amazing man. 



Baltimore was full of surprises. This seagull perched on his log reminded me of a statue my grandparents used to have in the front of their house.  



By accident, we stumbled upon Camden Yards, where the Baltimore Orioles play. 




I didn't know Babe Ruth was originally from Baltimore until I saw this statue.     



And I just loved this fleet of floating dragons...so random! Haha. 



From the historic ships...





This is actually the last floating ship that saw action in Pearl Harbor (1941).


To the city lights...




I have come to love Baltimore!




~ Nel

21 comments:

Susie said...

Nel, Thank you honey, for the tour of Baltimore. I loved the things you photographed. I too would have love seeing Poe's house.I did not know the Babe was from there either. You sure look cute in the heart. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

R's Rue said...

Love.

DUTA said...

You are the nicest sight in the post, Nel!

The mention of the literary giants: Shakespeare, Joyce, Poe goes well with the historical buildings you've contemplated and with the purpose of your visit in Baltimore.
I hope your presentation was successful.

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed Baltimore, Nel. Staying in Inner Harbor afforded you a great variety of sights and sounds. So glad you enjoyed it! We often fly out of Baltimore (cheaper flights). I love all of your pretty photos! The one of you in the heart is precious. ♥

Debby said...

I really need to travel east (from California) I love the old towns and cities -so much history.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I've never been to this city but you made it look very interesting! Love the ships and boats and city lights! WOW!

Pam said...

Oh, thanks for sharing the pics. I have never been to Baltimore. I love the older buildings and that is usually what grabs my attention. I love it. Hope you had an awesome time. Stop over to my blog and check out my alphabet challenge for the B.

TARYTERRE said...

Thank you for taking me home for just a bit. I'm glad you love my hometown.

Patricia said...

Baltimore does look like an attractive city, and one I have never seen. Thank you for sharing.

baili said...

Amazing virtual visit to wonderful city my friend ,thank you sooo much for taking us with you on a journey that seems fun picnic more than business trip .

Photos by your brilliant lenses tell lot about the city and its lifestyle .Loved it so much dear!

Is this you in pics ? you look lovely and elegant lady with beautiful innocent smile.

fresh fish must be very tasty .
statue of Babe Ruth is fantastic.
I am so glad you had such fun trip and how marvelous that you worked with a famous personality for long .it must be special learning time for you my friend!
Blessings.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Good morning, Nel! Looks a bit like Boston, where I went to school and lived for 11 years! Good to hear you are on the move, engaged in conferences and presenting! My husband has had many opportunities to travel to cities he would otherwise never have seen, thanks to his position at the university. ENJOY!

roughterrain crane said...

Your guiding of a new city based on a literary curiosity is so good that I feel as if I were walking with you in Baltimore where I have never visited. Enjoy happy days.

decorayadora said...

Hi Nel ,,, se nota la llegada de la primavera con esos árboles en Flor ,, un post muy entretenido de su paseo

Jill said...

Hi ! I wanted to stop by to tell you how much I appreciate your prayers for my surgery last Monday. Diana posted a prayer request on her blog and I am full of gratitude! I am slowly recovering but wanted you to know how very much I appreciate you thinking of me. :-) I love this post as I was born in Baltimore and have all my family back in MD. In first grade we moved to Carroll County MD. and after getting married I have moved several times :-) I am looking forward to following your blog and getting to know you better. Have a great week!

blessings,
Jill

Lowcarb team member said...

So lovely to see your photographs and read your post.

I do so like the words on the sign outside Barnes and Noble.

Have a great week and a Happy April

All the best Jan

Carla from The River said...

I enjoyed traveling with you.
Thank you for sharing Baltimore with us.

Danielle L Zecher said...

Great pictures. I never realized there were so many interesting things in Baltimore.

Red Rose Alley said...

I loved the Babe Ruth statue, the sign outside Barnes and Noble, the Irish Pub, and especially that Yummy fish. That seagull does look like grandma's statue in front of her house. Baltimore is a charming city, and I'm glad you got to go there. Love that last picture. You look so lovely in the rose blouse. : )

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

It all looks so wonderful! So glad you got to get out and see the sights and share them with us! Love the beautiful old buildings and the dragon boats. Don't you look adorable! xx Karen

Anonymous said...

Wonderful photos! Makes me want to visit there.

Walking the Bean said...

Sure is an amazing city. "What this grim, ungainly, ghastly, gaunt, and ominous bird of yore meant in croaking Nevermore."-Poe
Great shots and I can just imagine the bookstores.